Whois vs GDPR, latest news

Rob Evans internetplumber at gmail.com
Fri May 18 01:18:29 UTC 2018

> I don't.  I have better things to do than babysit various accounts
> I've signed up over the years.  Just because someone signs up for an
> account and forgets about it is not a good enough reason to have my
> information DESTROYED WITHOUT MY PERMISSION if I do happen to be busy
> that week to sign in somewhere to accept a legal disclaimer.

It’s only ‘{one|that} week’ from today.  The people that hold your
personal data appear to have not planned in advance.

Why should people (“data processors”) have the right to forward your
personal contact details in perpetuity?  Isn’t that a problem?  They
don’t need to ask permission to use those details for purposes for
which you’ve already granted permission.

> GDPR is touted as a policy to tackle the issue of the larger players
> abusing their market positions and our trust; instead, so far, my lack
> of response would just ensure that I am unsubscribed from my alumni
> association in the UK; what good does it do to me?!

This may be a misunderstanding, or a cautious approach, from your alma
mater.  If you’ve given them permission for them to hold your data
about their activities all is well.  Many companies are choosing this as
an opportunity to confirm that permission for the sake of future legal
argument.

Rob