Whois vs GDPR, latest news

Constantine A. Murenin mureninc at gmail.com
Thu May 17 22:04:52 UTC 2018

On 17 May 2018 at 08:03, Niels Bakker <niels=nanog at bakker.net> wrote:
> * nanog at ics-il.net (Mike Hammett) [Thu 17 May 2018, 14:44 CEST]:
>>
>> Agreed. This is garbage, un-needed legislation.
>

> Disagreed.  These are great and necessary regulations.
>
> I'm loving the flood of convoluted unsubscribe notices this month from
> companies that had stored PII for no reason.

I don't.  I have better things to do than babysit various accounts
I've signed up over the years.  Just because someone signs up for an
account and forgets about it is not a good enough reason to have my
information DESTROYED WITHOUT MY PERMISSION if I do happen to be busy
that week to sign in somewhere to accept a legal disclaimer.

GDPR is touted as a policy to tackle the issue of the larger players
abusing their market positions and our trust; instead, so far, my lack
of response would just ensure that I am unsubscribed from my alumni
association in the UK; what good does it do to me?!

C.