Whois vs GDPR, latest news

bzs at theworld.com bzs at theworld.com
Thu May 17 19:47:06 UTC 2018

On May 17, 2018 at 10:29 niels=nanog at bakker.net (Niels Bakker) wrote:
 > We cannot escape UDRP but at least we now have a say in what we are
 > forced to publish about ourselves.

Just curious, what does UDRP have to do with any of this?

UDRP is an ICANN process which allows someone who believes they have
intellectual property rights in a domain to challenge an ownership.

Granted it's been abused (but so have baseball bats) creating the new
dreaded acronym RDNH (reverse domain name hijacking) but I don't see
how that's related.

Even under GDPR a litigant can get the owner's contact information or,
if the info is false or not practically available, pursue a default
judgement which if successful would result in the domain's transfer to
them.

FWIW for new TLDs (.RODEO or whatever) the equivalent process is URS.

Gratuitous Side Note:

One of the more publicized cases of late involved FRANCE.COM which
apparently the French govt seized ownership of via WEB.COM without any
UDRP process or notice to the owner.

Overview article, you can find others:

  https://www.sgtreport.com/2018/04/france-seizes-france-com-from-man-whos-had-it-since-94-so-he-sues/

Legal filing: