Whois vs GDPR, latest news

Stephen Satchell list at satchell.net
Thu May 17 16:12:34 UTC 2018

In a related note, I received a note from my registrar this morning
telling me that, per current ICANN rules, I need to verify all the
personal identifying information for the domains I control.

1.  I checked WHOIS for all my domains, and they point to the proxy
service that my registrar offers.  So, I have no PII visible via WHOIS.

2.  I checked the contact information page, and all my (hidden) PII is
correct.

So, at least for my domains, everything is GDPR compliant as far as
public display is concerned.  The question about the proxy service
providing an anonymous tunnel for, say, abuse e-mail is open to
question.  As well as all the other bells and whistles I've seen discussed.

By the way, setting up the proxy service just takes money, not time, in
the old school.

The fines are heavy enough that the registrars can consider forcing
proxy service on all domains, and figure out how to recoup the costs
later.  Months?  I don't think so.

But then again, I'm not a registrar, only a customer of those folks.