Whois vs GDPR, latest news

bzs at theworld.com bzs at theworld.com
Thu May 17 01:36:04 UTC 2018

On May 16, 2018 at 18:18 owen at delong.com (Owen DeLong) wrote:
 > At this point if I were a registrar or registry doing business in such a way as to be subject to gdpr, I’d seriously consider spinning up a subsidiary only for that purpose and leave it with minimal revenues and nothing to collect in the event of a lawsuit. Either that or simply stop doing business with Europeans until their government comes to its senses.

2018-04-19, The Guardian...

   https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/apr/19/facebook-moves-15bn-users-out-of-reach-of-new-european-privacy-law

or

   http://tinyurl.com/yaeqguhz

Headline:

   Facebook moves 1.5bn users out of reach of new European privacy law

"The move is due to come into effect shortly before General Data
Protection Regulation (GDPR) comes into force in Europe on 25
May. Facebook is liable under GDPR for fines of up to 4% of its global
turnover – around $1.6bn – if it breaks the new data protection rules."

"The company follows other US multinationals in the switch. LinkedIn,
for instance, is to move its own non-EU users to its US branch on 8
May. “We’ve simply streamlined the contract location to ensure all
members understand the LinkedIn entity responsible for their personal
data,” it told Reuters."

--
        -Barry Shein