Whois vs GDPR, latest news

bzs at theworld.com bzs at theworld.com
Thu May 17 00:26:13 UTC 2018

On May 16, 2018 at 16:10 mureninc at gmail.com (Constantine A. Murenin) wrote:
 > I think this is the worst of both worlds.  The data is basically still
 > public, but you cannot access it unless someone marks you as a
 > "friend".
 >
 > This policy is basically what Facebook is.  And how well it played out
 > once folks realised that their shared data wasn't actually private?

The problem is that once the data gets out it's out and in many cases
such as this WHOIS data only stales very slowly.

So one malicious breach or outlaw/misbehaving assignee and you may as
well have done nothing.

I suppose one could /reductio ad absurdum/ and ask so therefore do
nothing?

No, but perhaps more focus on misuse would be more productive. The
penalties for violations of GDPR are eye-watering like 4% of gross
revenues. That is, could be billions of dollars (or euros if you
prefer.)

We know how well all this has worked in 20+ years of spam-fighting
which is to say not really well at all.

It relies on this rather blue-sky model of the problem which is that
abuse can be reigned in by putting pressure on people who actually
answer their phone rather than abusers who generally don't.

Another problem is the relatively unilateral approach of GDPR coming
out of the EU yet promising application to any company with an EU
nexus (or direct jurisdiction of course.)

In that it resembles a tariff war.

--
        -Barry Shein