Email security: PGP/GPG & S/MIME vulnerability drop imminent

Mark Rousell markr at signal100.com
Tue May 15 09:52:16 UTC 2018

On 15/05/2018 10:34, Rich Kulawiec wrote:
> On Mon, May 14, 2018 at 01:47:50PM +0530, Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:
>> TL;DR = Don't use HTML email [snip]
>
> That's enough right there.  HTML markup in email is used exclusively
> by three kinds of people: (1) ignorant newbies who don't know any
> better (2) ineducable morons who refuse to learn (3) spammers.
> There are no exceptions.
>
> ---rsk

If only life were so simple.

I used to be a resolute user of plain text-only email. It was good
enough for me.

And then I realised how absurdly old fashioned this appeared to my
clients. I'd send them emails explaining what I was going to do or about
the new product or service, and it just looked boring and backward. I
realised that I could no longer stick to plain text: It was actually
harming my business.

The world has moved on and rich content everywhere is now a must. It's
no longer optional (although of course it depends on with whom one
communicates).

Yes, you can blame this on "ignorant newbies who don't know any better"
but bear in mind that they are now the vast majority of users. They are
the ones ultimately paying the bills and we have to adapt to their
preferences, and not them to us.

P.S. And I agree with Suresh in the previous message. It is true that
there is a real problem here (more with S/MIME than PGP/GPG in practice)
but it's being hyped up and overblown. The content does not fully
support the headlines.

--
Mark Rousell