Email security: PGP/GPG & S/MIME vulnerability drop imminent

Jim Shankland nanog at shankland.org
Tue May 15 17:22:25 UTC 2018

On 5/15/18 2:34 AM, Rich Kulawiec wrote:
> On Mon, May 14, 2018 at 01:47:50PM +0530, Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:
>> TL;DR = Don't use HTML email [snip]
> That's enough right there.  HTML markup in email is used exclusively
> by three kinds of people: (1) ignorant newbies who don't know any
> better (2) ineducable morons who refuse to learn (3) spammers.
> There are no exceptions.

Which category best describes my wonderful, intelligent (but decidedly
non-technical), 84-year-old mother-in-law, who has been using email for
a couple of decades (thus certainly not a "newbie"), and is definitely
not a spammer. Do you have any advice for how I break it to her that
she's an ineducable moron? You know, since there are no exceptions and all.

Jim