Catalyst 4500 listening on TCP 6154 on all interfaces

frederic.jutzet at sig-telecom.net frederic.jutzet at sig-telecom.net
Mon May 7 07:06:31 UTC 2018

> - a nsa backdoor :-)

it would be a very bad backdoor as it's really easy to see the port
listening...

> - a default active service

Maybe, but a service which is not officially registered:
https://www.iana.org/assignments/service-names-port-numbers/service-names-port-numbers.xhtml?search=6154

in contrary to the SMI (zero touch feature on tcp 4786) which is
registered since almost 10y:
https://www.iana.org/assignments/service-names-port-numbers/service-names-port-numbers.xhtml?search=4786

Could it be possible that this kind of tcp port is not registered by
Iana because it meant to be used for internal communication only
(internal to the device), or should you register any port usage (even
'private') ?

And yes I've tried to reset to default the config, shutdown all
interface, remove all L3 ip/feature (no ip blabla), and I still see by
default 2 TCP ports on listening state:

Cat4500-SUP7L-E#sh ip prot
*** IP Routing is NSF aware ***

Cat4500-SUP7L-E#
Cat4500-SUP7L-E#sh run | in ip
 address-family ipv4
 address-family ipv6
no ip routing
ip vrf Liin-vrf
no ip mfib
no ip bootp server
no ip dhcp-client broadcast-flag
no ip igmp snooping
no ipv6 traffic interface-statistics
 no ip address
 no ip route-cache
 no ip address
 no ip route-cache
no ip forward-protocol nd
no ip http server
no ip http secure-server
Cat4500-SUP7L-E#
Cat4500-SUP7L-E#
Cat4500-SUP7L-E#show tcp br all
TCB       Local Address               Foreign Address             (state)
5B40BB30  0.0.0.0.4786               *.*                         LISTEN
5CD5D2D8  0.0.0.0.6154               *.*                         LISTEN
Cat4500-SUP7L-E#

I will now try to negate all potential active service from the 'show run
all' config but it's not optimal as for example 'vstack' (port 4786)
does not appear in the default config so it would not be disable by this
trivial method.

Fred