Route Reflector Client Design Question

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Sat May 5 23:38:16 UTC 2018

On 4/May/18 08:01, Erik Sundberg wrote:

> My questions is how do I get traffic to go directly between the PE's without going to the Core Routers?
>
> 1. Can I enable iBGP between the PE's in a full mesh to allow traffic between the PE's without going to the core's. Or does this break the Route Reflector model?

You could do, but then you lose the point of the RR in the first place,
as it's likely your Metro-E nodes will continue to grow, making this
iBGP mesh thing, well, messy.

> 2. Create a route policy on the Core's advertising routes learned from the PE's back to all the PE's on the ring.

You could do, but adds unnecessary routing complexity since the role of
an RR is to, well, reflect.

> 3. Is this one of the down sides to U Rings?

Not really a downside, just the perks of extending IP/MPLS all the way
into the Access (I drink to the death of Layer 2 Metro-E networks - my
liver will probably give out before I do, though...).

> 4. Leave it alone and move on to bigger and better things....

Now where's the fun in that :-)?

So we've solved this problem by using BGP-SD (Selective Download):

  * For every prefix each Metro-E node handles, originate that toward
    both RR's with NEXT_HOP=self.

  * Attach a BGP community along with the routes originated toward the
    RR's. For maximum saving of your precious FIB in your Metro-E nodes,
    use a BGP community that is unique to the ring. This way, you don't
    need to accept routes into each Metro-E's FIB that don't require the
    "local" forwarding.

  * Ensure the RR's reflect the routes they learn from each Metro-E node
    to the other Metro-E nodes.

  * Setup BGP-SD on each Metro-E node. Match the ring-specific BGP
    community you added to each Metro-E node's prefix origination.
    Accept those routes into FIB + default. Reject everything else (from
    populating the FIB).

That should give you local forwarding within the ring, while maintaining
very sparse population of your Metro-E nodes' FIB's.

Mark.