Route Reflector Client Design Question

James Bensley jwbensley at gmail.com
Fri May 4 13:37:10 UTC 2018

On 4 May 2018 at 07:01, Erik Sundberg <ESundberg at nitelusa.com> wrote:
> 1. Can I enable iBGP between the PE's in a full mesh to allow traffic between the PE's without going to the core's. Or does this break the Route Reflector model?

If I have understood your design correctly then don't use
next-hop-self on the RR's. Ideally you'd have out of band RRs so you
don't need NHS but I can see that you're are both RRs and PEs so NHS
is required. If you enabled iBGP sessions between all your PEs you
have defeated the point of RRs :)

I don't know your setup in detail but is there something you can do on
your RRs to allow you to remove NHS? eBGP routes will have NHS by
default so you just need to check the impact on iBGP routes, maybe you
can remove NHS at the expense of redistributing a couple of connected
routes.

Cheers,
James.