Yet another Quadruple DNS?

Izaac izaac at setec.org
Thu Mar 29 14:17:47 UTC 2018

On Thu, Mar 29, 2018 at 07:01:59AM -0700, Brian Kantor wrote:
> do not trust the ones provided by their ISPs.

Ohhh!  Is that a thing?  Network operators doing crazy shit like
throwing A records to local machines instead of NXDOMAIN in order to
splash advertising at users?  Imagine users getting so frustrated at
this broken behavior that they engage in another broken behavior.

Whoever mentions "opt-out" gets a virtual smack on the back of the head.
Correct behavior is not "opt-in."

> And I'd really like not to enrich my ISP's trove of information about
> my browsing habits by them recording all my DNS lookups.  Of course,
> 9.9.9.9 could be collecting that information, but they're in less
> of a position to insert ads than my cableco is.

Don't worry: they are.

--