How are you configuring BFD timers?

Måns Nilsson mansaxel at besserwisser.org
Thu Mar 22 20:41:22 UTC 2018

Subject: Re: How are you configuring BFD timers? Date: Wed, Mar 21, 2018 at 04:24:47PM +0000 Quoting Job Snijders (job at instituut.net):
> Silly question perhaps, but why would you do BFD on dark fiber?

Because Ethernet lacks the PRDI that real WAN protocols have.

--
Måns Nilsson     primary/secondary/besserwisser/machina
MN-1334-RIPE           SA0XLR            +46 705 989668

PS: Don't get me wrong. I'm all for Ethernet, it is cheap (or perhaps,
SDH/SONET line cards were artificially expensive) and it makes networks
faster more often, by virtue of interface cheapness. But one really
needs to tack about half the signalling from SDH onto Ethernet (here,
BFD) to get some predictability from it. Which is OK, it was made for
NFS and Telnet on a LAN. It does really well considering that.