How are you configuring BFD timers?

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Thu Mar 22 09:59:32 UTC 2018

On 22 March 2018 at 10:47, James Bensley <jwbensley at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 21 March 2018 at 16:37, Luke Guillory <lguillory at reservetele.com> wrote:
>> He's asking because if it was dark the interface would go down when the link was lost and the router would pull routes. But PA to FL would lead me to believe it'll be a wave from some type of DWDM gear which brings us to BFD.
>
> Could it not also help with a unidirectional failure of the fibre?
> E.g. Loss of signal in only one direction might not bring the link
> down, but if one BFD peer stops receiving BFD packets it'll bring the
> link down.

Ethernet handles unidirectional failure natively through autonego asserting RFI.

A======B

B sees loss-of signal
A does not
B asserts RFI
A receives RFI and goes down

Some devices, such as JunOS can also assert RFI for external factors,
like you can ask JunOS to assert RFI to client port, when pseudowire
goes down, so client experiences link down when you experience
pseudowire down.

--
  ++ytti