Fwd: RE: [EXT] Fwd: Re: problems sending to prodigy.net hosted email

Stephen Satchell list at satchell.net
Wed Mar 21 01:38:31 UTC 2018

Linux systems have the ability, given enough RAM, to associate almost
any number of IP addresses to a given interface.  Our IP allocation
database kept track of who was using what IP address.  I wrote some
queries to collect all unassigned IP addresses, and to construct the
appropriate shell commands to assign those IP addresses to Ackbar's
interface.  Part of the program would also remove any allocated IP
addresses from the server automtically.

Worked like a charm.

Whenever someone would nmap our address space, there would be at most
one ARP request for the address; the router would then remember the
IP->MAC association for the subsequent scans for a period of time -- 30
minutes if we were renumbering, 12 hours otherwise.

The Ackbar server lived attached to our main distribution switch, so
that subsequent traffic to those unused IP addresses stayed out of the
server farm.  We had some, er, "interesting" denial of service attacks
that didn't do as much damage as they could have.