IPv4 smaller than /24 leasing?

Martin List-Petersen martin at airwire.ie
Tue Mar 13 18:24:22 UTC 2018

Hi,

needing a /24 to participate in BGP has always been sort of a world-wide
standard.

Even before the explosion of the IPv4 BGP full table (which has more
than doubled in the last decade), that was the standard.

Because ..... if carriers (and ISPs) accepted upstream < /24, then you'd
have an entirely different animal at large.

The issue here is not ARIN, or RIPE, or APNIC, or AfriNIC etc.

The issue is, that the industry standard is to filter the upstream table
and not to accept smaller than /24 ... so even if the policies were
changed your </24 would still not be routable .... end off discussion.

It would take decades before you'd see it routable everywhere .. if at
all .. as ISPs and Carriers relax their filters.

And before that happens, IPv6 will be the norm .... so it won't happen.

Kind regards,
Martin List-Petersen
Airwire Ltd.

--
Airwire Ltd. - Ag Nascadh Pobail an Iarthair
http://www.airwire.ie