IPv4 smaller than /24 leasing?

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Tue Mar 13 17:37:27 UTC 2018

On Tue, Mar 13, 2018 at 1:19 PM, Justin Wilson <lists at mtin.net> wrote:
> I agree that the global routing table is pretty bloated as is.  But what kind of a solution for providers who need to participate in BGP but only need a /25?

Hi Justin,

If you need a /25 and BGP for multihoming or anycasting, get a /24.
The cost you impose on the system by using BGP *at all* is much higher
than the cost you impose on the system by consuming less than 250
"unneeded" Ip addresses.

I did a cost analysis on a BGP announcement a decade or so ago. The
exact numbers have changed but the bottom line hasn't: it's
ridiculously consumptive.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

William Herrin ................ herrin at dirtside.com  bill at herrin.us