Proof of ownership; when someone demands you remove a prefix

Naslund, Steve SNaslund at medline.com
Tue Mar 13 15:20:51 UTC 2018

Biggest problems we had as a service provider is that the block is registered to a corporate entity which is then acquired or dissolves and then you have to figure out who actually has control.  We always tried to push the dispute process to go between the customer and the RIR when this happens.  It takes too many legal resources to get involved in figuring out who owns what during an acquisition or dissolution.  Often this particular resources does not get called out specifically and can be a problem.  Sometimes they get treated like corporate intellectual property and sometimes they get treated more like a utility.  It’s a legal nightmare to get in the middle of it.  I have had cases where it was so complex we forced one of the parties to get a court order one way or another.

Steven Naslund
Chicago IL