Proof of ownership; when someone demands you remove a prefix

Jimmy Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 14:46:57 UTC 2018

On Tue, Mar 13, 2018 at 9:23 AM, Sean Pedersen
<spedersen.lists at gmail.com> wrote:

> In this case we defaulted to trusting our customer and their LOA over a stranger on the
> Internet and asked our customer to review the request. Unfortunately, that doesn't
> necessarily mean a stranger on the Internet isn't the actual assignee.  [......]

I believe the suggested process would be....   submit the stranger's request to
the administrative & technical contacts listed for the organization
and IP resource
in public WHOIS  at the time the request is received,  and in order to
confirm:

Request whether their organization approves that the announcements must be
withdrawn,  and if so:  that they also submit to you a signed official
form to either
revise,  rescind, or repudiate  the existing LOA provided by that WHOIS contact.

Then reply to the  "stranger"  that official documentation is required
to cancel the
announcement, and you are unable to verify you have the right to make
the request,
and you will forward their message to the IP Address registry and
officially listed WHOIS and customer technical contacts  who must
approve of the request,
before any further actions can be taken.

--
-JH