IPv6 Unique Local Addresses

daveb spike at zitomedia.net
Sat Mar 3 13:50:06 UTC 2018

At 02:02 AM 3/3/2018, Owen DeLong wrote:

> > On Mar 2, 2018, at 10:38 PM, Matt Harris <matt at netfire.net> wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, Mar 3, 2018 at 12:33 AM, Owen DeLong
> <owen at delong.com <mailto:owen at delong.com>> wrote:
> > Sure
 You have to maintain the tunnel or they
> may  reassign/reallocate the address. Here’s the reality of that, however:
> >
> > 1.    Unless you care about reaching the
> customer they reassigned it to from your network, you don’t care.
> > 2.    Using it for ULA in addition to the
> tunnel isn’t really prohibited by that. It’s a gray area, I’ll admit.
> > 3.    Sure, they can cancel the service at
> any time, but you get what you pay for. It saves you $100/year
> >       while it lasts.
> >
> > Owen
> >
> > I'm not sure where you're getting the $100
> figure from, ARIN's minimum fee for an
> allocation is $250/year (for a /40 or smaller
> block) on top of membership fees of $500/yr, so
> that's $750/yr to get a /48 from the North
> American RIR (which is the only one I'm looking
> at today given that the context is the nanog
> list).  Additionally, tunnel providers can and
> have shut down permanently at random - SixXS
> was among the largest providers, and they shut
> down operations entirely last year.  So any
> folks using space from them had to renumber,
> either on to another tunnel provider's space,
> or to ULA.  Re-numbering has associated costs,
> which in the case we're pointing to here,
> could've been saved had they deployed on ULA space instead.
> >

>You don’t need an allocation. Get an assignment.
>
>Owen

Petition the RIR's (and IETF?) to set up a HE
like service for 'micro'
end-users?  Self-registration and $4.99/year gets
you a pseudo-GUA /48 to keep forever but
currently understood as not accepted by your ISP.
Some day maybe there will be an efficient way to provide global reachability.

Dave B.