IPv6 Unique Local Addresses

Matt Harris matt at netfire.net
Sat Mar 3 06:38:58 UTC 2018

On Sat, Mar 3, 2018 at 12:33 AM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:

> Sure… You have to maintain the tunnel or they may reassign/reallocate the
> address. Here’s the reality of that, however:
>
> 1. Unless you care about reaching the customer they reassigned it to from
> your network, you don’t care.
> 2. Using it for ULA in addition to the tunnel isn’t really prohibited by
> that. It’s a gray area, I’ll admit.
> 3. Sure, they can cancel the service at any time, but you get what you
> pay for. It saves you $100/year
> while it lasts.
>
> Owen

I'm not sure where you're getting the $100 figure from, ARIN's minimum fee
for an allocation is $250/year (for a /40 or smaller block) on top of
membership fees of $500/yr, so that's $750/yr to get a /48 from the North
American RIR (which is the only one I'm looking at today given that the
context is the nanog list).  Additionally, tunnel providers can and have
shut down permanently at random - SixXS was among the largest providers,
and they shut down operations entirely last year.  So any folks using space
from them had to renumber, either on to another tunnel provider's space, or
to ULA.  Re-numbering has associated costs, which in the case we're
pointing to here, could've been saved had they deployed on ULA space
instead.