IPv6 Unique Local Addresses

Matt Harris matt at netfire.net
Fri Mar 2 19:27:28 UTC 2018

On Fri, Mar 2, 2018 at 11:08 AM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:

> I doubt anyone is taking it away, pointless and useless as it is.
>
> Owen

I'm not sure I'd say it's pointless and useless.  It's free, which gives it
at least some point/use case, versus IPv6 space obtained from an RIR where,
at least in ARIN's case, you have fees associated with that.  I'm lucky
enough to have a /32 from ARIN for the networks I work on, so we're not
stretched for space or worried about deploying ULA.  For a small
organization where even a /48 would be a luxury, and with no good native
IPv6 carriers available locally (still plenty of places like that),
deploying IPv6 on ULA space may be the stepping stone they need until other
options become open to them.