IPv6 Unique Local Addresses (was Re: New Active Exploit: memcached on port 11211 UDP & TCP being exploited for reflection attacks)

Harald Koch chk at pobox.com
Fri Mar 2 02:30:32 UTC 2018

On 1 March 2018 at 18:48, Mark Andrews <marka at isc.org> wrote:

> ULA provide stable internal addresses which survive changing ISP
> for the average home user.

Yeah this is pretty much what I'm doing. ULA for stable, internal addresses
that I can put into the (internal) DNS: ISP prefixes for global routing.
Renumbering is hard.

All of the objections I've seen to ULA are actually objections to (IPv6)
NAT, which is why I was confused.

(As it turns out my ISP prefix has been static for years, but I'm too lazy
to undo all of the work...)

--
Harald