New Active Exploit: memcached on port 11211 UDP & TCP being exploited for reflection attacks

Jippen cheetahmorph at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 00:43:26 UTC 2018

The problem here is that you're not being shot in the foot, you're moving a
semi full of ammo and parking it in front of my building. Collateral damage
from other people being lazy with their servers is a pain.

Oh, and this was used to set a new high water mark for 'Biggest DDoS'
against github. 1.5 Tbps. So, its a pretty big deal. And that ignoring the
additional vulnurability from just getting everything useful out of the
memcached server, or continuously clearing the server to damage performance
of the app relying on it.

If your gun's default aiming position is at your foot, then there's a good
argument to change the default. It doesn't solve the problem, but it helps.