New Active Exploit: memcached on port 11211 UDP & TCP being exploited for reflection attacks

Eric Kuhnke eric.kuhnke at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 18:32:12 UTC 2018

On the other side: VM/VPS providers have a template based image that they
use for every type and subtype of operating system it's possible to
auto-provision. For example Ubuntu Server Xenial AMD64 or Debian Jessie or
Stretch AMD64.

It's important that VM/VPS providers don't push fresh images that have
anything vulnerable, abusable or exploitable enabled by default. Not all
VM/VPS providers do this. Standard sane configuration choices apply such as
bind9 not being a recursive resolver by default.

If individual Debian, CentOS, Ubuntu or whatever other distro packages for
memcached or any other daemon have "listen on all interfaces = yes" or
"listen on non-RFC1918 IP ranges = yes" turned on in their respective
configurations, that would be an issue to take up with the package
maintainers for the daemons.