AS3266: BitCanal hijack factory, courtesy of many connectivity providers

Job Snijders job at instituut.net
Tue Jun 26 18:23:55 UTC 2018

Dear Simon,

On Tue, Jun 26, 2018 at 12:13:26PM -0600, Simon Muyal wrote:
> On the France-IX route servers, we are applying filters based on IRR
> DBs. I double checked the list https://pastebin.com/raw/Jw1my9Bb and
> these prefixes should be filtered if bitcanal starts announcing them.
> Currently, bitcanal/AS197426 is not announcing any prefix on our route
> servers:
>
> https://lg.franceix.net/irr_found_for/RS1+RS2/ipv4?q=197426
> https://lg.franceix.net/irr_notfound_for/RS1+RS2/ipv4?q=197426

I'm very happy FranceIX apply filters - however Bitcanal is known to
submit fabricated/falsified IRR information to databases like RADB and
RIPE. I've reported this multiple times over the years to IRR database
operators.

In conclusion in the case of Bitcanal, most of your filtering is useless
(and so is mine). Participants like Bitcanal dillute the value of your
route servers and the IXP as a whole.

Kind regards,

Job