AS3266: BitCanal hijack factory, courtesy of many connectivity providers

Job Snijders job at instituut.net
Tue Jun 26 17:22:18 UTC 2018

(I've updated the email subject to make it more accurate)

On Tue, Jun 26, 2018 at 12:18:19PM -0400, Stephen Fulton wrote:
> Unless of course they are not actually on an IXP listed.

Of course.

> Bitcanal is not a member of TorIX and as far as I recall, never has
> been. The IP they list in PeeringDB was never assigned to them at any
> point and in fact was used by an AS112 instance which was run by TorIX
> directly on the fabric for a time.  I sent in a note to PeeringDB
> several years ago about Bitcanal claiming to be a peer when they were
> not and never heard back.. I'll resend.

Thank you for this clarification. Indeed a note to the PeeringDB Admin
committee should help clean this up. Please note that this organisation
also goes under the name of "Ebony Horizon".

I've manually confirmed bitcanal/AS 197426 is connected to AMS-IX, ECIX
Frankfurt, ESPANIX, FranceIX Paris, GigaPIX, and LINX LON1.

At most of these IXPs, bitcanal seems to be connected the the IXP's
route servers. In my mind, if we want to consider responsibility, these
IXPs are as much at fault as any upstream provider. Connectivity is
connectivity.

Kind regards,

Job