at&t business ipv6

Lee Howard lee.howard at retevia.net
Sun Jun 24 14:52:24 UTC 2018

On 06/21/2018 12:07 PM, Nick Hilliard wrote:
> Randy Bush wrote on 21/06/2018 16:35:
>

> Static addresses don't fit into this paradigm because you if you
> configure your static customers from a single broadcast domain, then
> they are glued to a particular CMTS and can't be moved from that CMTS
> unless you renumber them.

Completely agree with all you've said here about how DOCSIS works.
Several cable operators (at least) are working to make it so that DHCPv6
assigns business customers  the same IPv6 prefix every time. Yes, it's
DHCPv6 instead of static configuration, but I think it works.

Additional question, though:
Randy said "at&t business 1g fiber going into an Arris"
As fiber, it'll be PON. If it were a traditional cable company, I'd
guess DPOE (DOCSIS Provisioning Over Ethernet).
Except it's AT&T, and I don't know if they're provisioning DOCSIS over
their fiber; I would think it's GPON, using the same infrastructure as
their U-Verse product (fiber to the curb, DSL to the home). That used to
be PPPoE and not DHCP, but my information may be out of date.

Lee