IPv6 faster/better proof? was Re: Need /24 (arin) asap

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Wed Jun 20 03:48:52 UTC 2018

> On Jun 11, 2018, at 8:07 PM, Job Snijders <job at instituut.net> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Jun 11, 2018 at 05:01:24PM -0700, Ca By wrote:
>>> I posit that the more miles a packet has to travel, the more likely
>>> it is to be an IPv4 packet.
>>
>> Related. The more miles the traffic travels the more likely it is the
>> long tail ipv4 15% of internet that is not the wales : google, fb,
>> netflix, apple, akamai ... and i will even throw in cloudflare.
>>
>> I hear transit is dead
>
> Well, be that as it may, I'm still going to go to work tomorrow ;-)

I see in the SMB space, including the small time FTTH and WISP communities
they are mostly focused on IPv4 with little IPv6 going on.  While they could
access most content on IPv6 their common platforms still are not IPv6 friendly.

UBNT is rolling out IPv6 finally to some of their UniFi lines as well as their
airOS 8.x by making it default enabled.  There is still some way to go but folks
are making progress.

MikroTik is getting there but most people are just not enabling it either.

The WISP folks gripe about geolocation issues for the IPv4 blocks they are leasing
as well, and some end-user content still isn’t IPv6 ready (such as Hulu).

What I can see is that the folks that made the jump are less likely to be required
to hold NAT state so have fewer problems.  It’s not quite as simple as 96-more-bits
because you learn there is no ARP (it’s NDP) and you can DHCPv6 + SLAAC or a combination
thereof, but they just don’t have the operational experience.

There’s also the perfectly valid comments from others that they can’t get IPv6 on their
FIOS, Business class DOCSIS services, etc.. It’s also often easier to get a static IPv4
and dynamic IPv6 but getting static IPv6 is harder.  Thankfully progress is being made
here, but often much slower than the early adopters here would want.

Then again, I hear everything is in the cloud anyways so as long as I can reach the
NetBookAzureTube perhaps all is well?

- Jared