Impacts of Encryption Everywhere (any solution?)

Michael Crapse michael at wi-fiber.io
Wed Jun 20 01:10:59 UTC 2018

I've always said that the fiber middle mile price themselves out of more
money. I want a fiber connection that will service a subdivision(20-50
households) with speeds up to 1gbps, oh that's $2k/mo. The problem is that
we want a fiber connection for 10 or 20 subdivisions, oh, that's 2k per,
but you get 10% discount because of the amount.. Alternatively, we could
get a single 10g connection from an IX/first mile for $2500, and use 10-20
$3k radios to get a gig into every sub division, We've tried to get fiber
providers to allow us to purchase bandwidth based upon 3 criteria: 1) the
cost for them to buildout, they are a business and need to get their money
back. 2) total burstable capacity, 10g circuits cost more than 1g, but 200m
circuits shouldn't cost less than 1g. 3) by the number of subscribers on
each link. We have offered to 1) pay for their fiber install costs, 2) pay
a base tariff and 3) pay up 25% of base revenue per user.  In this case,
fiber company gets paid to put the fiber in, and ~$500/mo for each
connection they're giving to us, in this scenario they will make $10k/mo
profit, plus expand their network. In the other scenario they make only
$2500/mo and come in uncompetetively for businesses in our market(because
they have a new buildout to bake into their price)
Just doesn't make sense to us to pay individually for fiber connections
when we know it's packet switched anyway, and the load on their network is
the same