Time to add 2002::/16 to bogon filters?

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Mon Jun 18 23:34:58 UTC 2018

If a ASN is announcing 2002::/16 then they are are happy to get the traffic.  It
they don’t want it all they have to do is withdraw the prefix.  It is not up to
the rest of us to second guess their decision to keep providing support.

If you filter 2002::/16 then you are performing a denial-of-service attack on
the few sites that are still using it DELIBERATELY.

None of the problems required removing it from BGP.  There were end sites that
had firewalls that blocked 6to4 responses and the odd site that ran a gateway
and failed to properly manage it.  The rest could have been dealt with by
configuring more gateways.  If every dual stacked ASN had run their own gateways
there wouldn’t have been a scaling issue.  i.e. take the 2002::/16 traffic and
dump it onto IPv4 as soon as possible and take the encapsulated traffic for the
rest of IPv6 and de-encapsulate it as soon as possible.

Mark

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742              INTERNET: marka at isc.org