BGP in a containers

Jeff Walter jwalter at weebly.com
Mon Jun 18 18:13:29 UTC 2018

Years back I ran ExaBGP inside a Docker container (when it wasn't
"production ready") to anycast a contained service both within a datacenter
and across them. To make routing work correctly I had to also run another
BGP daemon on the Docker host machine; I can't remember if I used bird for
this, but it seems like what I'd use since I didn't need programmatic
control of prefixes.

Would I do it that way today? Not a chance. How would I do it? That would
really depend on two things: what I'm trying to accomplish with BGP and
what the service is. If you just want portability of a service (not
redundancy/balancing via anycast) is BGP really the best option? I'd make a
strong case for OSPF due to it needing far less config. The same need for a
routing instance on the Docker host would apply, but you wouldn't need to
manage configuration for neighbors as containers come up and go down (since
the IP will likely change). Sure, you could just add neighbor config for
every IP Docker might use, however-- ouch.

Jeff Walter