fd.io vs cumulus vs snabb vs OVS vs OpenNSL

Luke Gorrie luke at snabb.co
Sat Jun 16 18:28:47 UTC 2018

On Thu, 14 Jun 2018 at 22:17, Marcus Leske <marcusleskex at gmail.com> wrote:

> Any thought leader on the list to shed some light to what is happening
> in the world of open networking ? OVS vs OpenNSL vs Cumulus vs fd.io
> vs Snabb vs a lot of stuff :)
>
> Where is this going ?

I work on Snabb and to me our most interesting application area is "the
long tail." You have a problem that you can describe on a whiteboard, but
you can't get an off-the-shelf solution for, and you want to solve it by
sitting down and writing an ordinary program in an ordinary high level
programming language. So that is what you do.

It's not necessarily *easy* but it is straight forwardly similar to the way
people write other programs in languages like
perl/python/ruby/javascript/etc.