fd.io vs cumulus vs snabb vs OVS vs OpenNSL

Maciek Konstantynowicz (mkonstan) mkonstan at cisco.com
Fri Jun 15 15:48:38 UTC 2018

Hi,

Gleaned this thread on nanog mailer archive [1] mentioning fd.io :)

Not a "thought leader", but I thought I respond with some fd.io data
points, hopefully relevant to the thread’s subject.

Note that most of them focus on data plane functionality, performance
and technology level comparison:

  - IPv4 routing (large FIB) at Terabit speed, a video clip (low-budget)
    showing what difference modern Xeon processors (Skylake) can make to
    SW data plane if coupled with something super-fast, produced by LF
    FD.io  project for Xeon Skylake launch on 11th July 2017 (a year
    ago). [2]

  - SW data plane benchmarking, technical paper [3][4].

  - Test and performance report for last fd.io release [5].

  - Continuous trending of fd.io vpp master branch [6].

And although network control plane is not covered (e.g. BGP), many data
plane hooks required are there incl. large FIBs, VRFs, hierarchical FIB
for IP fast convergence, multicast, etc.

HTH

-Maciek

[1] https://mailman.nanog.org/pipermail/nanog/2018-June/095897.html
[2] "FD.io: A Universal Terabit Network Dataplane", https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLJ0XLeV3V4.
[3] https://fd.io/wp-content/uploads/sites/34/2018/01/performance_analysis_sw_data_planes_dec21_2017.pdf
[4] https://wiki.fd.io/images/3/31/Benchmarking-sw-data-planes-Dec5_2017.pdf
[5] FD.io CSIT-CPL rls1804, https://docs.fd.io/csit/rls1804/report/.
[6] FD.io CSIT-CPL continuous VPP performance trending:
  IPv4, https://docs.fd.io/csit/master/trending/new/trending/ip4.html
    as of next week above link will be migrated to: https://docs.fd.io/csit/master/trending/trending/ip4.html
  IPv6, https://docs.fd.io/csit/master/trending/new/trending/ip6.html
    as of next week above link will be migrated to: https://docs.fd.io/csit/master/trending/trending/ip6.html