IPv6 faster/better proof? was Re: Need /24 (arin) asap

Job Snijders job at instituut.net
Mon Jun 11 22:08:18 UTC 2018

On Mon, Jun 11, 2018 at 10:03 PM, Ca By <cb.list6 at gmail.com> wrote:
> A similar take, is that big eyeballs (tmobile, comcast, sprint, att, verizon
> wireless) and big content (goog, fb, akamai, netflix) are ipv6.  Whats left
> on ipv4 is the long tail of people asking for help on how to buy a /24

Joking aside, I suspect that what's left is on the long tail is
actually long haul traffic. I'm not aware of any transit provider
reporting anything close to the numbers that the CDNs observe in terms
of IPv4 / IPv6 percentage split.

I posit that the more miles a packet has to travel, the more likely it
is to be an IPv4 packet.

Kind regards,

Job