Need /24 (arin) asap

valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu
Mon Jun 11 16:42:50 UTC 2018

On Mon, 11 Jun 2018 10:27:04 -0600, Michael Crapse said:
> For an eyeball network, you cannot count on an IPv6 only network. Because
> all of your "customers" will complain because they can't get to hulu, or
> any other ipv4 only eyeball service. You still need the ipv4s to operate a
> proper network, and good luck figuring out which services are blacklisting
> your new /24 because the ipv4 space used to be a VPN provider, and the "in"
> thing to do for these services is to block VPNs.

Of course, figuring out how to run dual-stack for those eyeballs is still a net
win - because every content that *does* do IPv6 is that many fewer packets
that you have to cram through that CGNAT. (My laptop currently has a global
IPv6 address and a CGNAT'ed IPv4 address.  In the last 3 hours, I've moved
90G on IPv4, and 322G on IPv6.)