ICANN GDPR lawsuit

Daniel Corbe dcorbe at hammerfiber.com
Mon Jun 4 18:56:27 UTC 2018

at 2:40 PM, Baldur Norddahl <baldur.norddahl at gmail.com> wrote:

> man. 4. jun. 2018 17.31 skrev McBride, Mack <C-Mack.McBride at charter.com>:
>
>> GDPR doesn't play well with directory listing services.
>> BUT since providing contact information is exactly what a directory
>> listing service does,
>> It is safe to assume that this is 'essential' under GDPR.
>
> No it is very clear that publishing private information about individuals
> is in fact not necessary to assign netblocks and domains to companies.
>
> It is a little less clear when the ressource is assigned to an individual.
> But considering there already exist privacy options for domains, the same
> solutions could be implemented for other ressource types.

It occurs to me that operators might want to opt-in to have their data
published through PeeringDB.  From a purely pragmatic standpoint, I won’t
peer with anyone I can’t reach out to and if you don’t have a 24/7 NOC
chances are good that you’re going to get depeered the first time there’s a
technical issue and I can’t reach you for help.

An academic exercise, for sure.   But one that would render this line of
thinking rather moot.