Rising sea levels are going to mess with the internet

Rob McEwen rob at invaluement.com
Thu Jul 26 19:39:51 UTC 2018

On 7/26/2018 1:32 PM, Rod Beck wrote:
> You are simply wrong. The sea level is rising at an increasing rate. The average sea level will go up by 30 centimeters to 1 meter by 2100. And of course, the storm surge will increase by a multiple of that. Sources: NOAA.

Looking at the SAME sources (NOAA, NASA, etc) - as scary as those "Mt
Everest" charts look (where they make 3.5mm/year rising look like Mt
Everest) - the lines on THEIR charts are ALMOST perfectly straight and
JUST BARELY curve upwards. So I dug into THEIR actual data - and even
THEIR data shows something like a cumulative 1mm/year increase - and -
it took ~40 years or so to get to that 1mm increase (to be extra clear,
this is a reported increase over how much oceans are rising now compared
to ~40 years ago. But I'm not even sure this added up to even a full 1 mm.)

These sources ALSO have all kind of scary PREDICTIONS or ESTIMATES about
FUTURE acceleration that goes MUCH faster - just like they did 10 and 20
years go - but their scary predictions never materialize.

Does pointing out these FACTS - using data from the SAME sources that
you are using - STILL qualify me for the "flat earth society"?

On this same thread, I've also been called a "climate change denier",
and otherwise insulted multiple times - for just pointing out clear
indisputable facts. Others keep pointing out how "a majority of
scientist disagree" - yet that 97% figure that keeps getting thrown
around - was from ONE SINGLE extremely flawed study that has since been
thoroughly debunked.

BTW - in my original message, I did state:

--------------------
"But I suppose that it might be a good idea to take inventory of the
absolute lowest altitude cables and make sure that they are not
vulnerable to the type of flooding that might happen more often after a
few decades from now after the ocean has further risen about 2 inches?
But the sky is not falling anytime soon."

So ALSO - everyone - please ALSO stop arguing with a "straw man" here -
I never said that there wasn't anything to be concerned about.

--
Rob McEwen