California fires: smart speakers and emergency alerts

valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu
Thu Jul 26 17:09:14 UTC 2018

On Thu, 26 Jul 2018 09:54:10 -0700, Seth Mattinen said:

> People in tornado areas seem to be the most aware that alert radios
> already exist. No internet access required.

Do those use a frequency band that's suitable for cellphones to monitor (antenna
size, power, etc)? Because your best chance of getting my attention in an emergency
is to make my phone start shrieking.

(For what it's worth, I actually did get an Amber Alert on my phone last night, and
a phone-based weather alert as well)