Finally some common sense - No to blocking DNS

Matthew Pounsett matt at conundrum.com
Wed Jul 25 14:23:36 UTC 2018

On 25 July 2018 at 10:10, Jacques Latour <Jacques.Latour at cira.ca> wrote:

> This is good news for the internet up here! It's unconstitutional to block
> DNS access!!! JF must be happy :)
> https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-court-
> rejects-quebecs-bid-to-ban-citizens-access-to-private-online-2/
>
> Court rejects Quebec's bid to ban citizens' access to private online
> gaming sites
> THE CANADIAN PRESS
> PUBLISHED JULY 24, 2018UPDATED 18 HOURS AGO
> Quebec's attempt to ban its citizens' access to online gaming websites
> unauthorized by the state-run gambling corporation is unconstitutional
> because it infringes upon federal jurisdiction, indicated a recent Superior
> Court ruling.......

It looks to me like the ruling is that Quebec overstepped the bounds of its
authority, and not that DNS blocking is unconstitutional per se.  From the
look of things, it'd be perfectly fine for the feds or the CRTC to enable
blocking, based solely on this ruling.

And of course.. now I wonder if they'll try to invoke the Notwithstanding
Clause.