using expect to log into devices

Jimmy Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 03:52:57 UTC 2018

On Tue, Jul 24, 2018 at 9:55 PM, Scott Weeks <surfer at mauigateway.com> wrote:

> --- valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:
> From: valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu
>
> On Sun, 22 Jul 2018 00:43:35 +0200, Niels Bakker said:
> > Fine as a personal exercise, of course.  The inability to download
> > modules seems sadistic to me, though.

Yeah... just download RANCID and check the command line options.
Expect is mainly of historical interest,  and  the code already exists in
several forms, so no need to completely re-invent the wheel (as a square)
here.

I call shenanigans about the avoidance of Perl modules.    No real-world
system
has such constraints.

Besides,  Expect itself is a module / extension of the Tcl language and
requires the
use of dynamically-loaded extension libraries for pattern matching and
various functions,
so using Expect would break the  "No modules rule".

If you're not allowed the use of modules,  then your implementation option
is pretty much
to write in something that compiles to straight machine language.

--
-JH