Definition/Classification of Bogon

Aftab Siddiqui aftab.siddiqui at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 02:37:16 UTC 2018

Hi,

On Wed, 25 Jul 2018 at 06:12 Radu-Adrian Feurdean <
nanog at radu-adrian.feurdean.net> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 24, 2018, at 13:24, Aftab Siddiqui wrote:
> > Q - Generally, Private or Reserved ASNs are considered as Bogon ASN but
> > what about unallocated ASNs?
>
> If you don't have an automated update process running at decent time
> intervals (one week or more often, under no circumstance less than once a
> month) and you don't have processes in place that monitor that updates do
> happen properly with some corrective action being done when they don't -
> then stick with private or reserved.
>
> If you do have everything needed, and are aware that what is unallocated
> today may be allocated tomorrow, then you can (should) go with
> private+reserved+unallocated option.

Exactly, getting the right and updated info is so tricky that people only
filter Private+Reserved ASNs. Because of the same reason more than 600
unallocated ASNs are in the routing table as per the CIDR-Report.

Wouldn't that be simple to parse the list and start updating filters on
daily basis? I understand its troublesome for big operators. I've just
started this so lets see what happens :) but I can tell that the diff on
file created every night isn't much (around 10-20).

http://www.cidr-report.org/as2.0/#Bogons