SP security knowledge build up

Douglas C. Stephens stephend at ameslab.gov
Tue Jul 24 12:59:58 UTC 2018

To add to Suresh's list, Iowa State University (iastate.edu) offers a
graduate major program and an undergraduate minor program in cyber
security (a.k.a. Information Assurance).  They also run an annual
cyber defense competition (ISEAGE).

On 7/24/2018 4:06 AM, Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:
> Not a MOOC.  But several schools now have graduate programs in
> security.  Off the top of my head, Georgia Tech, UAB, GMU ..
>

> They might offer some shorter courses as well, for working
> professionals.   Take a look.
>

> From: Ramy Hashish <ramy.ihashish at gmail.com> Date: Tuesday, 24
> July 2018 at 2:33 PM To: "Compton, Rich A"
> <Rich.Compton at charter.com> Cc: Christopher Morrow
> <morrowc.lists at gmail.com>, Suresh Ramasubramanian
> <ops.lists at gmail.com>, nanog list <nanog at nanog.org> Subject: Re: SP
> security knowledge build up
>

> Thank you Christopher, Compton and Suresh, that was helpful.
>

> I am still looking for more.
>

> Does anyone want to recommend any MOOC?
>

> Thanks,
>

> Ramy
>

> On 23 July 2018 at 17:30, Compton, Rich A
> <Rich.Compton at charter.com> wrote:
>
> Barry Greene's site has some good info on ISP security as well:
> http://www.senki.org
>

> On 7/23/18, 8:08 AM, "NANOG on behalf of Christopher Morrow"
> <nanog-bounces at nanog.org on behalf of morrowc.lists at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> I thought also there was a set of videos from nanog meetings... I
> can't find a set, but here are some:
>
> ISP Security 101 primer
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueRminCpnMc
>
> isp security real-world techniques - 2
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ijd9A5wUS_0
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6ZSxgVvjdA (older version of
> previous?)
>
> ISP Security toolkits https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7XcZS_99WQ
>
> NRIC Best Practices for ISP Security
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bzL5eUGC-0
>
> there are actually quite a few more, searching for 'security
> nanog' turned up.
>
> On Mon, Jul 23, 2018 at 9:32 AM Suresh Ramasubramanian
> <ops.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> The usual / canonical sysadmin book might work, there is a lot
>> of security related material in there as well.
>>

>> https://www.amazon.com/Practice-System-Network-Administration-Second/
dp/0321492668

And this updated for enterprise / devops and other such new
>> fangled things
>>

>> https://www.amazon.com/Practice-System-Network-Administration-Enterpr
ise/dp/0321919165/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_14_t_0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=2N4F
09FPM9FG9VQNT433

On 23/07/18, 6:55 PM, "NANOG on behalf of Ramy Hashish"
>> <nanog-bounces+ops.lists=gmail.com at nanog.org on behalf of
>> ramy.ihashish at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hello All,
>>
>> I am planning to build up a security team of fresh engineers
>> whom are "network oriented", any advice on the knowledge
>> resources we can start with? We are looking forward to building a
>> concrete foundation of a well-rounded security engineer, we are
>> looking for vendor/operator agnostic resources.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Ramy
>>

> E-MAIL CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The contents of this e-mail message
> and any attachments are intended solely for the addressee(s) and
> may contain confidential and/or legally privileged information. If
> you are not the intended recipient of this message or if this
> message has been addressed to you in error, please immediately
> alert the sender by reply e-mail and then delete this message and
> any attachments. If you are not the intended recipient, you are
> notified that any use, dissemination, distribution, copying, or
> storage of this message or any attachment is strictly prohibited.

- --
Douglas C. Stephens		| Network Systems Analyst
Enterprise Information Services | Phone: (515) 294-6102
Ames Laboratory, US DOE         | Email: stephend at ameslab.gov