Question about bird RS config with BGP Community support

Job Snijders job at instituut.net
Mon Jul 23 21:05:15 UTC 2018

On Mon, 23 Jul 2018 at 23:00, Anurag Bhatia <me at anuragbhatia.com> wrote:

> We are running a small IX fabric (in Mumbai, India) and with multiple
> route servers based on a bird. There has been a demand of support of BGP
> communities from some of our members and I am trying to find a way to set
> it up in the bird. Idea is to provide a community say 0:123 where tagged
> routes with 0:123 do not reach AS123. I am new to the bird.

I strongly recommend to either use “arouteserver” or “IXP manager” to
generate the BIRD configuration files on your behalf, and no type it by
hand.

Setting up a fully featured secure route server is a lot of work and
research, I’d really recommend to leverage the work others have done in
this problem space. I fear otherwise you may risk repeating mistakes that
others already made.

https://arouteserver.readthedocs.io/en/latest/
https://github.com/pierky/arouteserver
https://www.ixpmanager.org/

And using these automated tools means less work for the IX operator.
Turning up new peers is a breeze with both tools!

Kind regards,

Job