Rising sea levels are going to mess with the internet

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Mon Jul 23 07:55:23 UTC 2018

On Mon, 23 Jul 2018 at 05:55, Rob McEwen <rob at invaluement.com> wrote:

> Meanwhile, global warming
> alarmists have ALREADY made MANY dire predictions about oceans levels
> rising - that ALREADY didn't even come close to true.

Now this discussion does not belong to NANOG, but 'global warming
alarmist' is worrying term to me. What is the perceived harm you're
trying to reduce? Are the acts which try to address the problem the
harm you'd like to see avoided? This seems very imbalanced bet, but
bet lot of people with no training in the subject matter, including
leader of the free world, are willing to take.

This is like people who have never ever professionally been involved
with Internet keep predicting that Internet is going to break. While
(I'd hope) overwhelming majority of subject matter expert are
confident that there isn't any concrete observable threat.
Much in same way, compelling majority of scientists (>95%) believe in
human caused global warming and even larger percentage in those
scientists who have researched the subject matter. The skepticism is
almost exclusively in people who have no training or research in the
subject matter.  It's curious phenomena where we are very willing to
ignore all the data points that disagree with us, and accept the one
data point that agrees with us, even when admitted to be fabrication.

Some starting points, while of course entirely ineffective for reasons
explained:

http://www.grist.org/article/series/skeptics/
http://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php
http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2007/05/start-here/