using expect to log into devices

Niels Bakker niels=nanog at bakker.net
Sat Jul 21 22:43:35 UTC 2018

* surfer at mauigateway.com (Scott Weeks) [Sat 21 Jul 2018, 22:38 CEST]:
>I had already done this in PERL, but, even though we have PERL, we
>are not allowed to download modules here. So, I'm redoing it in
>Expect.  I thought someone would say a "oh just <blah, blah> and
>you're done" type of response.

Well, what you're doing right here is reimplementing rancid.  Which is
wholly unnecessary because we already have rancid, and a more modern
alternative named oxidized.  And you've gotten that response already.

Fine as a personal exercise, of course.  The inability to download
modules seems sadistic to me, though.

	-- Niels.