Proving Gig Speed

Brielle Bruns bruns at 2mbit.com
Wed Jul 18 15:35:15 UTC 2018

On 7/17/2018 10:18 AM, Mike Hammett wrote:
> I don't think you understand the gravity of the in-home interference issue. Unfortunately, neither does the IEEE.
>
> It doesn't need to be in lock-step, but if a significant number of homes have issues getting over 100 megabit wirelessly, I'm not sure we need to be concerned about 10 gigabit to the home.
>
> I am well aware of the wireless world and Ubiquiti. I've been using Ubiquiti (among other brands) for over 10 years and have been a hardware beta tester for several of them.

Customers are still harping on me about going wireless on all of their
desktops.  Since most of our customers are CAD/Design/Building
companies, during planning, we insist on at least two drops to each
workstation, preferably 3 or more.

But, every time we go to do an upgrade...

"Why can't we just use wireless?"

Even though 20 minutes prior they're complaining at how slow it is for
their laptops to open up large files over the network over wifi.

"If you want faster speeds, you'll need to go from AC-Lites to AC-HDs
with Wave 2.  They're $350 or so each, and since your brand new building
likes to absorb wifi, you'll need 5-8 of them to cover every possible
location in the building.  Oh, and you'll need to replace your laptops
with Wave 2 capable ones, plus Wave 2 PCIe cards for every desktop...
Except for the cheap $200 AMD APU desktops you bought against our
recommendations that don't have expansion slots and no USB 3..."

I long for the day when we can get 100mbit throughout a building or
house reliably.

(I'm a Ubnt hardware tester too, 99% of my customer setups are a mix of
EdgeRouter, EdgeSwitch, and Unifi Switch and AP setups).

--
Brielle Bruns
http://www.sosdg.org    /     http://www.ahbl.org