Proving Gig Speed

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Wed Jul 18 14:27:03 UTC 2018

On 18/Jul/18 16:22, K. Scott Helms wrote:

> Mark,
>
> I am glad I don't have your challenges :)
>
> What's the Netflix (or other substantial OTT video provider) situation
> for direct peers?  It's pretty easy and cheap for North American
> operators to get settlement free peering to Netflix, Amazon, Youtube
> and others but I don't know what that looks like in Africa.

Peering isn't the problem. Proximity to content is.

Netflix, Google, Akamai and a few others have presence in Africa
already. So those aren't the problem (although for those currently in
Africa, not all of the services they offer globally are available here -
just a few).

A lot of user traffic is not video streaming, so that's where a lot of
work is required. In particular, cloud and gaming operators are the ones
causing real pain.

All the peering in the world doesn't help if the latency is well over
100ms+. That's what we need to fix.

Mark.