Proving Gig Speed

James Bensley jwbensley at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 18:00:58 UTC 2018

On 17 July 2018 at 17:18, Mike Hammett <nanog at ics-il.net> wrote:
> I don't think you understand the gravity of the in-home interference issue. Unfortunately, neither does the IEEE.
>
> It doesn't need to be in lock-step, but if a significant number of homes have issues getting over 100 megabit wirelessly, I'm not sure we need to be concerned about 10 gigabit to the home.

Maybe leaky feeder cables will become the norm, running along the
walls/ceilings of all new build homes?

But assuming a wired connection within the premises for a moment, and
that we get 1Gbps over that wired connection, because we all have
FTTH: For the question of "does it make any difference (1Gbps/10Gbps
instead of 100Mbps)": If I download a 4K movie to watch it should take
an order of magnitude less time at 1Gbps than 100Mbps. Or even when
streaming, my player will fetch a video chunk/segment that is
typically in the 3-10 seconds range, I would fetch each chunk much
quicker, and so my ISPs connection spends more time idle, which means
their backbone carries a higher volume of traffic for a smaller period
of time. There is some benefit to be had in the balance of a user
consuming X Mbps across the backbone for Y seconds or X^2 Mbps but for
Y/10 seconds. It expect it would affect oversubscription and content
ratios.

Cheers,
James.