deploying RPKI based Origin Validation

Paolo Lucente pl+list at pmacct.net
Mon Jul 16 17:00:59 UTC 2018

Hi Job, All,

It is definitely great to see progress on the deployment side! I realize
that there may be some gaps in the network operator toolchain, and this
may be something i'd like to contribute to.

For network operators to better understand the impact of BGP hijacks in
terms of revenue or volumes of traffic that went missing, it makes perfect
sense if network monitoring tools are aware of which BGP announcements
are invalid or not.

I will look into adding support for the RTR protocol (RFC 6810, RFC
8210) to pmacct ( https://github.com/pmacct/pmacct , http://pmacct.net/ )
and expose the validation state through an extra field (when collecting
routing tables) and primitive (when accounting traffic and correlating
it with BGP data).

Updating the telemetry tools to be fully aware of RPKI validation states
should come in handy!

Paolo